Table of Contents
Before installing The Fox theme, you must install WordPress. If you have already a WordPress installation and ready to run a theme, please skip this step.
Here’s a detail guide about installing WordPress
If you want to use Fox with wordpress.com, please note that you need to subscribe a business plan. Please see this pricing page for details.
Install The Fox
Step 1: Download Fox theme from ThemeForest.
Please visit your download page on ThemeForest, find Fox theme and download it.
If you choose “All files & documentation“, then you’ll get a zip file containing the theme file and few extra files. Please unzip it until you get
fox.zip, that’s the actual theme file to install.
If you choose “Installable WordPress file only“, then you can install the zip file right away, no further step.
Step 2: Install Theme
Go to Your Site Dashboard > Appearance > Themes > Click Add New > Upload Theme then choose to upload fox.zip file
Click to “Install Now”, wait for it to be uploaded completely. Then click to “Activate”.
Your theme now has been installed. You’ll see a “Fox Magazine” on the left menu. Click there, you’ll see a welcome screen with useful information to get started.
If you don’t see such a screen but you see something like “stylesheet is missing“, please read how to fix stylesheet is missing.
Step 3: Install necessary plugins
You’ve done installation and can use The Fox immediately. However, Fox comes with few plugins we highly recommend you to install so that Fox can express truly its power.
Please go to
Dashboard > Fox Magazine > Install Plugins to see all recommended plugins and start installing them. Here’s the list of plugins:
- Elementor: Install this in case you want to use a page builder
- FOX Framework: This plugin contains Elementor builder blocks of Fox theme.
- One Click Demo Import: This is mandatory plugin, you must install this plugin to import demo.
- AMP for WP Accelerated Mobile Pages + AMP Theme FOX: Install this plugin if you want to have AMP Fox theme.
- Contact Form 7: This is the most popular contact form, you can use to set up your contact page.
- Envato Market: Install this plugin to manage your themes you have purchased on ThemeForest and update Fox with single click in the future.
- FOX Post View Counter: This plugin tracks your site view count and displays a simple chart of how many views you have for each post. It allows you to display most-read posts as well.
- Mailchimp For WP: This is not required. This is for those want to display a subscribe form to collect visitor emails.
- Instagram Feed: Pull and display your latest Instagram photos.
- WooCommerce: If you are building a shop, please install this plugin.
Step 4: Import Demo Content
Please go to
Dashboard > Fox Magazine > Import Demo to select your preferred style.
Before you import
- Make sure that you have installed and activate all necessary plugins. With The Fox Classic demo for instance, if you want to set up a shop, you must install WooCommerce plugin.
- Make sure that your hosting configuration meets the requirements for the import process. Set max_execution_time to at least 300. You may ask your hosting provider for this or follow instructions in this article.
Process the import
Hit the button “Import Demo” and wait. It takes about 5 – 15 minutes to import full demo because it’s the time to download images from our server to your site.
Import Elementor settings
Depending on the demo, you may need to do a further step: importing the Elementor settings. If you’re importing an Elementor demo and after importing the demo, your site looks only 90% like the demo site, It’s because you haven’t imported the Elementor settings yet.
Here’s the list of all elementor kits for corresponding demos:
After downloading the zip file, please go to Dashboard > Elementor > Tools > Export/Import Kit > Start Import and upload that zip file. Now your site is 100% same as demo.
Import only Style
If you don’t want to import full content, but only the demo style, please follow those steps:
1/ Identify which demo style you want to import, for instance Science, then visit following URL to download it: https://docs.withemes.com/foxdata/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/science.dat
In case you want to import Mazed, not Science, please replace science by mazed in the above URL.
2/ In the importing screen, please click “Switch to Manual Import“
3/ Click to Import Customizer, upload your file you have just downloaded and process to import it. That’s the actual demo style, and you have demo style only instead of redundant content.
After finishing importing process, you can start using your site, delete demo posts you don’t like and customize it as you want.
To customize your site, please go to Dashboard > Appearance > Customize you’ll see a lot of settings there.
If you don’t see a green success message:
- If you got “Failed to import products” error, please read this article.
- Please check your front page to see if it looks like your expected demo or not. Sometimes the import process may finish without a message.
- If the import fails for some reason even you have “max_execution_time” set to 300 or higher, please open a private ticket with your login credentials at our support desk, we’d like to help.
Update The Fox
Please read this article.